Friday, March 4, 2016

The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

The Compound is the first of two sci-fi mystery books for teens. I couldn't wait to review this exciting book about lies and survival. Six years ago, Eli's billionaire father told his family that there was a nuclear war. In that event, he rushed his family down into an underground compound that he built to keep them safe for 15 years, and you could not get out until that time is up. However, after six years the food is starting to run out, and Eli is beginning to think that his father is not telling the truth. When Eli does find out the truth, it is up to him to rescue their family from a fate worse than a nuclear attack.

It was interesting to see what can happen when you are trapped in a space doing the exact same thing over and over. Eli was very upset that his twin Eddy did not make it down, and he blames himself. Rather than be upset for six years, he used his emotions to protect his family from the same fate as what he believed Eddy had. It was amazing to watch who Eli became, and what lengths he went to in order to keep his family safe. 

It was the idea of a compound that grabbed my attention. It had everything that they needed: food, water, clothes, medicine, and practically everything else. You would think that would be cool, but it would get boring eventually. It made me think about what I would do if I was trapped underground for 15 years! 

I couldn't put this book down! The mystery was incredible. There were two. One was figuring out how to get the code for the door. The other mystery was the father, Rex. He was a strange character, and he had a lot to hide. It actually amazes me that he planned ahead so much, and he could keep a secret for so many years. When something bad would happen, the pace would change, which helped with the tone and mood. 

I highly recommend you read this book. I cannot wait to read the second book, The Fallout.


Title: The Compound
Author: S.A. Bodeen
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 248
Series: Yes, Book 1 of 2
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard of this book, but it does sound interesting! You're right though, it is crazy to think about what I'd do if I was stuck underground in a compound for 15 years. Are there any books? :-P I'm glad you liked the book though. It sounds like it has a great mystery aspect and protagonist.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...